Medical Marijuana Card Process
Your Steps Toward Legal Relief
Used properly, marijuana can provide numerous medicinal benefits. However, it is a controlled substance, and it is only legal available if you abide by the rules set out in the Florida Medical Marijuana Legalization Initiative. If you are interested in using medical marijuana to improve the quality of your daily life, it is only natural for you to ask, “How do I get a medical marijuana card?” On this page, we’ll discuss the steps you need to take to complete the medical marijuana card process in Oviedo, FL.
Visit a Marijuana-Certified Doctor
Not all doctors in Florida are certified to prescribe medical marijuana. Before they are able to do so, they must attend a training course and pass a state examination. They must also have an unrestricted medical license. This arrangement helps to protect patients and ensures that they are only working with a qualified doctor while they are using medical marijuana.
Dr. Derek Murphy is not only certified to prescribe medical marijuana, but he also has extensive experience with medical marijuana patients. In fact, he has successfully treated more than 2,000 medical marijuana patients. Other local physicians often refer their patients to him for this kind of care.
Who Qualifies for Medical Marijuana?
If you are suffering from any of the following conditions, you may be eligible to use medical marijuana:
- Crohn’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
The above list is not entirely comprehensive. Other debilitating conditions may also qualify you for the use of medical marijuana. For example, if you suffer from severe depression, anxiety, migraines, or chronic pain, you may be able to take advantage of it.
The law mainly allows for permanent residents of Florida to use medical marijuana. However, many seasonal residents are also eligible. If you are a temporary resident of Florida, and you are here at least 31 consecutive days each year, you may be able to get a medical marijuana card for our state.
Steps You Must Take
Here is a quick breakdown of the medical marijuana card process:
- Click here to request an appointment with Dr. Murphy
- Attend your appointment. Office appointments are available, so Dr. Murphy can personally assess your qualifications for medical marijuana. Dr. Murphy offers services to patients throughout the entire Orlando metro area.
- Submit an application. You must submit an application with the State of Florida and pay a $75 application fee. It may take a few weeks (2 – 3) for the state to process the application.
- Maintain your card. A medical marijuana card is valid for one year. You must visit Dr. Murphy at least once every 210 days to maintain its validity. When the one-year mark rolls around, you will have to submit a new application to the state.