Leaky Gut – St. Cloud, FL
Improve Your Gut Health, Improve Your Wellness
Gut health is a huge part of overall wellness. When your gut and your digestive system are working properly, you can enjoy increased energy, better moods, a reduction in aches and pains, and an array of other benefits. Unfortunately, though, many people suffer from a condition known as leaky gut in St. Cloud. What is leaky gut, what symptoms does it cause, and how can Dr. Murphy and our team help you overcome it? Read on below to find the answers.
Why Choose Holistic Medicine Wellness Center for Leaky Gut Treatment?
- Highly Educated Holistic Doctor
- Conservative, Natural Treatment Options
- Improve Your Overall Health
What Is Leaky Gut?
Your gut, also known as your gastrointestinal tract, places a barrier between what you eat and the rest of your body. This barrier is only a single cell thick; its very thin nature allows properly digested nutrients to get into the bloodstream and support your health.
However, in some cases, the barrier between your gut and the rest of your body malfunctions. It may begin to allow toxins, bacteria, and undigested food to sneak into your body. This problem is called leaky gut or increased intestinal permeability.
What Causes Leaky Gut?
There are many possible causes of leaky gut, including:
- A poor diet. Overconsumption of starches and processed foods can lead to inflammation in the gut. Many people also do not consume enough probiotics and prebiotics.
- Chronic stress. A high-stress lifestyle can irritate the gut and interfere with its function.
- Overuse of certain medications. NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and aspirin, may cause leaky gut if they are used too frequently.
- Toxin exposure. These toxins may be in foods or in the environment.
Symptoms of Leaky Gut
There are quite a few symptoms that can be associated with leaky gut because the gut has such as powerful influence on the rest of the body. Some indications that you might be suffering from leaky gut include:
- Autoimmune conditions, such as arthritis, lupus, and psoriasis
- Chronic fatigue
- Brain fog
- Food intolerances and allergies
- Anxiety and depression
- Seasonal allergies
- Skin problems, such as acne and eczema
- Seemingly unexplained weight gain
Addressing Leaky Gut
The goal of functional medicine is to help patients achieve improved health through the most conservative, natural means possible. When it comes to healing leaky gut, Dr. Murphy often uses the 5-R Protocol, which involves five steps:
- Removing sources of toxins or irritation to the gut
- Replacing missing digestive enzymes or nutrients
- Repopulating the gut’s microbiome with healthy bacteria
- Repairing the gut lining
- Rebalancing various lifestyle factors
The 5-R Protocol is customized for each patient. Typically, it involves dietary changes and lifestyle adjustments. For example, you may need to cut out processed foods and other sources of inflammation, as well as take steps to reduce stressors in your life. Dr. Murphy also frequently recommends high-quality supplements to support gut health.
Are you curious about what you can do to heal your gut and feel better on a daily basis? Contact us today to schedule a consultation.